In addition to saving direct energy and maintenance costs, industrial LED luminaires offer some little-known but equally valuable advantages that should play an important role in decision making. For any facility that is about retrofitting, or considering the lighting options for a new building, here are five reasons why LEDs should be the first choice.
1) Intelligent control integration. Since HPS and other HID luminaires typically require extended warm-up times to reach full load output, most facilities avoid this by keeping the lamp at 24/7 (whether or not it is needed). This consumes too much unnecessary power and shortens the life of the luminaire.
Industrial LED luminaires feature an instant-on function that provides full light output once the switch is turned over. Moreover, this does not necessarily mean that the physical switch - intelligent control can automatically control and adjust the LED luminaire. For example, the occupancy sensor allows the light to remain off when not needed and to turn it on immediately after the worker enters the area. Daylight harvesting sensors use ambient light to automatically dim LED luminaires, reducing light output (and energy consumption) to maintain a specified level of illumination without sustained combustion at full power. As more and more companies modernize facility automation, only industrial LEDs with intelligent controls can do this. HPS is simply impossible.
2) Improve worker safety, comfort and alertness. Ensuring that workers are vigilant and understanding the surrounding environment is a key factor in the safety of the facility. However, the dim, dim lighting of most HPS fixtures not only produces a darker, less active environment, but it is also extremely difficult to distinguish between warnings and information signs and wiring. This poses a significant security risk, and if they misunderstand warnings or accidentally cut the wires, they can put workers at risk.
By providing clear, bright illumination close to daylight quality
on the CRI, industrial LEDs provide the ideal visual clarity to
help workers clearly distinguish colors. Compared to HPS
lighting, LED lighting has also been shown to improve the risk
of tripping, reduce discomfort caused by glare, and increase
staff alertness and reduce fatigue by a factor of five.
While energy costs and maintenance costs are often the
most important in terms of industrial LED lighting advantages,
these are not the only tangible and measurable benefits.
When choosing the best source for a warehouse facility, it is
important to consider not only the cost but also the internal
environment and the longevity and environmental impact of the planet Earth, as well as the safety and comfort of the workers.
3) More light is needed where it is most needed. Traditional HPS luminaires lack directional lighting, but simply cover the entire area in orange light, including racks/shelves and ceilings. This means that a lot of wasted light and energy is just to get the desired illumination where it is most needed in the floor and work area. Even with a reflector, there is still a lot of light flowing into the wasted space.
On the other hand, industrial LED luminaires can be accurately placed inside the luminaire to accurately direct the light to the desired solid-state design of the LEDs is not a circular bulb that illuminates in all directions, but allows them to be positioned on the board to project light into the optimal position. By adding precision optics, you can make more LED luminaires and create customizable precision lighting patterns to meet your specific needs. As a result, wasted light and energy are reduced, and you get a clear, clear view where you need it most.
4) Reduce the impact on the environment. Sustainability is becoming a major concern for most companies. However, traditional HPS luminaires are one of the most environmentally friendly light sources on the market. Not only are they very inefficient, they also generate a lot of waste - some of which are dangerous. Discards must be discarded as millions of HPS bulbs are replaced each year. Moreover, since each HPS fixture contains up to 50 milligrams of harmful mercury - enough to poison the entire classroom of children - they must be considered hazardous waste, which not only increases costs but also increases environmental impact.
Industrial LED luminaires have proven to be more sustainable lighting options in many ways. Not only are they more energy efficient, they reduce millions of tons of carbon emissions and other harmful emissions, they also greatly reduce lighting waste and contain no harmful substances. By eliminating bulb changes and reducing hazardous waste output for up to 10 years or more, industrial LED luminaires enable companies to achieve sustainable development goals through simple lighting retrofits that are faster and cheaper than making fundamental production adjustments And more effective.
5) Improved light efficiency reduces the number of fixtures. Due to the poor quality of light emitted by HPS luminaires, many facilities must “over-illuminate” an area and place the luminaires close together to reduce shadows and dark spots. This is especially true for high ceiling environments where fixtures are installed 40-50 feet or more above the warehouse floor. These high-power luminaires not only consume too much power, but are also difficult to maintain, and more luminaires mean more maintenance challenges.
LEDs solve this problem and reduce the number of fixtures in most applications. Due to their higher light output at the source, their precise directional control and clearer white light, many facilities have found that they can replace two HPS luminaires with one high performance industrial grade LED luminaire. This 2-in-1 upgrade not only dramatically reduces energy consumption, but also means fewer fixtures to buy, fewer wiring and infrastructure to maintain, and fewer overhead obstacles to solve.
By combining all of these advantages with savings while eliminating maintenance and poor light quality, industrial LED luminaires undeniably provide a better choice for warehouse facility lighting.